It was a day filled with meaningful cultural activities, engaging speakers, and informative exhibitions.
The day commenced with a Smoking Ceremony led by Tim Selwin. Elizabeth Bailey from CSBB Aboriginal Education was the facilitator for the day and set the stage with an introductory speech, emphasising the purpose of the day and then introduced our special guest speaker David Morgan from the Australian Defence Force, who kindly shared his personal life story of how he overcame adversity to find his pathway into the ADF.
Students then had the opportunity to engage in three cultural activities including Art, Weaving and Clapstick making.
Following lunch, Elizabeth Bailey introduced the students to the Career Expo encouraging them to interact with the exhibitors, gaining insights into various career pathways. The exhibitors included:
- Nathan Bramston – Central Coast Local Health (School-based health traineeships)
- Chris Trew – Bara Barang
- Celeste Montgomery – Macquarie University (Walanga Muru Unit)
- Kylie Guisti – IProwd Commercial Administrator
- Garth Mercy – NSW Police
- Vanessa McAuley – AFP
- Kewerlee Wright – TAFE NSW Aboriginal Education and Engagement Coordinator
- David Morgan – Australian Defence Force
This Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Careers Pathways Day was not only a platform for learning and exploration but also a celebration of the rich cultural heritage and potential of Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander communities.