The College will be conducting our Athletics carnival on Tuesday 22 September at Adcock Park, West Gosford. It is compulsory for all boys to attend and rolls will be taken throughout the day. We need boys to be at Adcock Park by 8.45 am. Due to COVID restrictions, parents are not able to attend this year. Any students wanting to compete in the 1500 m event need to be at the oval ready to race by 8.30 am.
- Normal school buses to and from school will run in the morning/afternoon. Boys from the southern end of the coast will be dropped off near McDonald’s at West Gosford. Students are then required to cross the Central Coast Highway at the pedestrian lights immediately outside McDonalds where a staff member will be stationed to direct them safely across the main road.
- All other students traveling by bus are required to catch their normal bus to the College and at 8.30 am they will be directed to make their way to Adcock Park. Staff will be stationed along the way to direct students to the correct and safest crossing points. They will not be permitted to cross at any other points. This is most important for their safety and wellbeing.
- Other students may make their own way to the carnival as appropriate. All students requiring afternoon bus transport will return on foot to the College under the close supervision of staff and catch the afternoon school specials as normal.
- For identification purposes, it is imperative that all St Edward’s students attend the carnival in their College track suit/sports uniform. This is most important so that we can carry out appropriate supervision of all the boys on that day. Senior students who don’t have a sports uniform should wear appropriate sports clothing, possibly in their house colours.
- As maximum participation is the aim of the day, points will be allocated for every student entering an event.
- Boys need to be equally prepared for the weather, especially at this time of the year. There is little protection from the elements at Adcock Park, so boys also need to bring a hat and sun protection cream etc.
- The canteen (snacks and drinks only) will be run on the day and is on a cash only basis. There is no facility for use of flexischool accounts or student cards at Adcock Park.
- The boys are asked not to bring footballs, basketballs or soccer balls with them as there will be no opportunity to use them on the day. The balls can be a hazard on a day such as this.
- It is imperative that no boy brings along large sums of money or valuable audio equipment etc. In these situations, it is impossible for the College to take responsibility for items that go missing on the day.
- In the event of obvious inclement weather, boys would need to come to school prepared for the normal Tuesday timetable. A posting will be listed on the College Facebook page and the College App. No announcement means the carnival will go ahead.
- Spectators, including parents and carers, are not permitted at sporting events held during school hours. (Current CSNSW guidelines).
- Parents dropping-off or picking-up students from the carnival, must:
- Do so in the adjacent car park to the Velodrome/Athletics Field
- Remain in their car at all times (IN – OUT system, under staff supervision)
NB: Students will be released at the conclusion of the carnival at 2.15 pm
During the carnival:
- Students will move from event-to-event in their Age Groups
- Staff supervising these Age Groups will carry hand sanitiser for the students to access/use after each event
- Event equipment will be wiped down after each Age Group has been completed
At the conclusion of the carnival, students, with Parental/Carer discretion, may:
- Be dismissed from Adcock Park to make their own way home
- Senior Students may drive
- Return on foot and under supervision to the College to catch the usual bus services
The cooperation of boys and their families with these guidelines will ensure that it is an enjoyable day for all in attendance. Under normal circumstances the carnival should conclude by 2.15 pm. No boys will be permitted to leave the oval before that time. I would ask that parents cooperate in not asking for their sons to leave before that time.