PHONE:(02) 4321 6400 ENROL NOW
Year 9 and 10 Touch Football National Schools Cup
After winning the NSW All Schools Final, the Year 9 and 10 Touch Football team qualified to contest the National Schools Cup on the Sunshine Coast QLD, on 12-14 September.

A clash of dates saw several players pull out of the team travelling to QLD. Sandon Smith also had to withdraw as he was selected to represent NSWCCC U18’s in the National Youth Championships on at the same time and venue.

Not to be deterred, a team of 11 boys prepared in the weeks leading up to the event and improve on our previous results from years past. Along with Josh Armstrong (our referee), we boarded the College mini-bus for the road trip north. A stop-over in Ballina for the night saw us arrive at our Alexandria Headlands accommodation and base for the next 4 days.

Day 1 – Wednesday 12 September

Our draw had us playing three, 40 minute games on the day. Our first game was against Hunter Sports High. The team was cruising at half-time, leading 4-2. A few mistakes early and a lack of confidence to close out the game saw Hunter come back and draw 5-5. Our second game was against Chancellor S State College (QLD) and again we lead into the second half, only to see Chancellor run us down and win 7-5. Our final game for the day was against Iona College (QLD) as we continued our trend of leading into the second half before being beaten 9-7.

Day 2 – Thursday 13 September

A new day and after some reflection the night before, the boys set about pushing a talented Cleveland State High School (QLD) for the chance to make it to the semi-finals. Unfortunately, a few 50-50 calls went against us during the game and the boys struggled to breach the gap, going down 7-4.

This meant we finished in fifth place in our pool and a cross over game against the fourth place team from Pool B. We drew Cavendish Road High School (QLD). A reinvigorated team rose to the occasion and completely outclassed Cavendish to win 8-4.

Day 3 – Friday 14 September

Last night’s win saw us up early to play-off for 7th and 8th place against Narrabeen High School. A combination of an early start and fatigue after 3 days of competition, ensured both teams were slow to start. Narrabeen got out to an early 2-0 lead and that seemed to spark a response from the boys. Unfortunately, time and energy levels ran out, and we went down 5-3 and an 8th place result overall.

All the boys are to be commended on their behaviour and the fantastic way in which they represented the College throughout the 6 days.